Electric Guitar & Bass Design - Leonardo Lospennato
It can be very temting to start building your guitar without a plan, drawing or blueprint. By drawing a fullscale plan of your guitar you force yourself to think about all steps you need to take in order to succesfully build your instrument.
Electric Guitar & Bass Design by Leonardo Lospennato helps you organising that process and is the perfect book for anyone who want to design and build their own original guitar or bass.
Electric Guitar & Bass Design covers these topics:
- Searching for the perfect guitar
- Project planning
- Sound, playability and beauty
- Designing body shapes and headstocks
- Neck design: angled vs. bolt-on necks; truss rods
- Fretboard design: scale length; radiused and compound radius fingerboards;
- Selecting fretwire
- Selecting pick-ups: how pickups work, how magnets and coils affect sound, single-coils vs. humbuckers
- Controlling the pickups: pots, switches and coil-tapping
- Guitar and bass electronics: pot values and taper; specialty pots; capacitors; drawing the wiring diagram
- Wiring, grounding and shielding; common wiring diagrams; active electronics
- Secrets of sustain
- Selecting the right wood and hardware for your instrument
- Finishing: wood preparation, nitrocellulose lacquer, oil, polyester, waterbase lacquer, colors and sunbursts
- Interviews with guitar designers; lutherie woods; pickup color codes; cavity templates
Electric Guitar & Bass Design has 219 pages, softcover.